Hey there guitar enthusiast! Tired of constantly tuning your strings or dealing with damage from not-so-stellar storage methods? Well, have no fear because weve got the ultimate guide to keeping your beloved instruments in tiptop shape.
From nailing the perfect temperature and humidity to selecting the right case, youll be a storage pro in no time. Dont let poor storage be the reason your music-making is on hold. Keep reading and let’s make sure your guitars are ready to rock (and stay in tune) for years to come!
Storing Guitars The Right Way
To store guitars properly, it is important to consider factors such as temperature, humidity, and proper case selection. Taking good care of your guitar even before storing it somewhere will ensure a better preservation of the body and the attachments.
Now, let’s make a deep dive into the specifics and little details youll need to know for storing guitars properly.
- Temperature: Keep your guitar in a cozy room between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit, any more or les and you might end up with a warped or cracked guitar.
- Humidity: 40-50% is the magic number for your guitars happiness. Too much moisture and youll have a swollen guitar, too little and you’ll have a dry and cracked one.
- Case Selection: Dont skimp on the case, protect your guitar from scratches, dings, and any other damage by choosing a sturdy one. Hard cases for traveling and soft cases for home storage.
- Cleaning: Before storing, give your guitar a proper cleaning, wipe down the body, fretboard and strings with a dry cloth to remove any dust or dirt.
- String Tension: Avoid storing your guitar with tight strings, it can cause them to lose their elasticity and also damage the guitars neck and bridge.
- Sunlight: Direct sunlight can cause the finish on your guitar to fade or even damage the wood, store it in a cool and dry place where it wont be exposed to it.
By following these guidelines, youll be able to keep your guitar in top condition for years to come and avoid any storage related headaches. Also, keep in mind that you need to know how long guitar strings last and what is the durability rating on the guitar body so you know better what storage method works the best for you.
Methods & Ways To Properly Store A Guitar
There are sever ways to store a guitar properly, some more extreme than the other methods, although whichever method you like or is available to you, it works!
Personally, I store my guitars with wall hangers because I want my studio to look nice and fancy, its a great way of portraying what my personality, taste, and mood is! Either way, in the following paragraphs, I’ll mention some of the ways that you can use to store your guitar.
These are the best option for travel and offer the most protection for your guitar. They are usually made of wood or plastic and have a foam lining to cushion the guitar. They are great for proteting your guitar from scratches, dings, and any other damage. Plus, they keep your guitar safe from the elements while youre on the go.
These are a great option for home storage and are usually made of padded nylon or canvas. They offer les protection than hard cases but are more convenient for carying around. These cases are perfect for keeping your guitar close by and within easy reach while youre at home. Plus, theyre lightweight and easy to store when not in use.
These are a great option for keeping your guitar on display and within easy reach. They come in a variety of designs and can be adjusted to fit diferent types of guitars. Plus, its a great way to show off your beautiful instrument and keep it in the spotlight.
These are another great option for keeping your guitar on display and within easy reach. They are mounted on the wall and can be adjusted to fit diferent types of guitars. This is a great option if youre short on space but still want to keep your guitar close by. Plus, its a unique and stylish way to store your guitar.
Humidity Control Cases
These are specially designed cases that have built-in humidity control to maintain the optimal humidity level for your guitar. These cases are perfect for keeping your guitar safe from the elements and ensuring that it stays in top condition.
Closet Or Cabinet
You can also store your guitar in a closet or cabinet, but its important to consider the temperature and humiditi of the space, make sure its not too hot or too cold, and not too humid or too dry. This a great option for keeping your guitar out of sight when not in use.
You can also store your guitar in a room with a controlled temprature and humidity. This is thee ultimate option for guitar storadge, as it ensures that your guitar stays in top condition at all times.
By using one of these methods or a combination of them, youll be able to keep your guitar in top condition for years to come.
Benefits Of Storing A Guitar Properly
Here’s the rundown of all the benefits you will get by treating your guitar right:
- Protection from dings, scratches and all that jazz – keep that baby looking brand new!
- Longevity – who wants a short-lived guitar? Proper storage will keep it around for the long haul.
- Sound quality – you’ll be singing sweet, sweet melodies insted of sour notes.
- Easy access – no more digging through piles of stuff to find your guitar, it’ll be right there, waiting for you.
- Better organization – you’ll know exactly where your guitar is and what condition it’s in.
- Saving space – no more cluter, no more mess.
- Protection from elements – keep that guitar safe from dust, sunlight, and moisture.
- Protection from theft – dont let anyone steal your precious baby!
- Keeping it in top condition – always ready to play, no interuptions.
See? Proper storage is like giving your guitar a spa day, but better! So in short, just as you take care of other precous things in your life, taking proper care of a guitar with storing it the way it should be stored will ensure longevity, protection, and all of what Ive mentioned above.
Generally speaking, you can choose whichever method/way you like and is available to store your guitar, however, it is not okay to simply leave it in a room corner or above a table or object until you use it again. Storing a guitar properly and cleaning it before you even store it away it’s one of the best things you can do to truly respect your guitar.